Sunday, September 9, 2012

Big Changes

I have never been in Montana for a full year to see the changes that go on after each springs high water. This morning I really got a sense of how much things changed since last year, when Chris and I fished a section of the Clark Fork that we haven't fished for a long time.

New braids, new pools, new runs...you name it. The river was totally different. Fishing this morning was very enjoyable, simply because it was like fishing a whole new stretch of river. There was a nice hatch of tricos throughout the section and I found a few pods of fish to throw at. Most of the fish I found were small and readily took trico, BWO and midge patterns.


Towards the end of fishing, Chris and I found some nice slow water with plenty of feeding fish. They were pretty easy but there were no large fish that we saw.

Chris hooked up

Dry fly fishing seems to be picking up lately, especially when there's good cloud cover. Shouldn't be too long until mahoganies and Baetis start to show up in numbers on the Bitterroot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment