Thursday, April 12, 2012

Paradise

Got out on the Bitterroot the other afternoon to go chase some pike. Could I finally catch a Montana pike? The answer was no. I found some awesome looking pike water, including some cool back braids. I threw big stuff and some trout streamers as well. No takers. I was sure I was going to see a pike somewhere in that shallow slow moving back braid but I surprisingly didn't.


Got a call from Trevor a while later telling me that he was up near Hamilton. I headed south and we nymphed up quite a bit of cutties and a few bows too. Temps were in the low 70's and it felt great. This T-shirt weather really brought out some hatches. Cody and Garret found some great dry fly fishing upstream of us. March Browns and some skwala action. Unfortunately, the fish were not too active for dries on the stretch of river Trevor and I fished. We still each managed to land close to double digits of fish. No big fish but it was a great afternoon in paradise.

A pretty Brown landed by Trevor

A fish is a fish, is a fish.
The school grind has been tough and yesterday was one of the busiest days I've had in a while. It was also my birthday! With classes all day, my advising meeting in the evening, and needing to schedule classes for fall semester, there was little time for me to do what I love on my birthday. Sadly enough, I did not fish.

This weekend looks pretty nice with temps in the mid-upper 50's and mostly sunny. I'm thinking about switching it up and heading north to fish. We'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment