Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Ideas

Ever since I became obsessed with fly fishing, I have had one dream; to fish some of the worlds greatest rivers. I've been thinking a lot about where I've fished in my life and I am satisfied with what I've done so far. Now its time to think about things on a bigger scale. I realized that this is probably the best time(this next 10 year period) to begin chasing my dream. What better a way than to go to a different country and study? I have begun to look into the study abroad program here at U of M. There are many options for countries and I have thought for a long time, which one would be a really cool place to go study?.....and fish. Maybe mostly fish. Who knows.

Truth is, there are a lot of places I want to travel to. The one that really caught my eye was New Zealand. I've done quite a bit of research on the country and I'll be completely honest.....I still have no idea what the country is like. All I know is that it is known for its awe inspiring natural beauty and friendly culture. I also know that there is some of the best trout fishing in the world in New Zealand. The beautiful back country rivers of are unlike those in the US. No 3000 fish per mile. I've read about (and been told) that many of the rivers in New Zealand only have a few fish per mile. The only great thing about that fact is that those 'few fish' are big. Really BIG. Sounds like my kind of fishing. I really like to assess the situation and find that big fish and present to it. Reading stuff about New Zealand has me drooling. If I could leave tomorrow, I totally would. However, I know that this major decision in my life will require a lot more thinking and research. It's a long term goal. One that I'm going to complete before I die. The rivers are calling!


Photo by widerange.org

No comments:

Post a Comment