Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011: A Great Year

2011 was quite the year. A year of discovery, exploration, and most of all, learning. I think I've learned more about fly fishing this year than any other. Part of what I've done for the past few years is record everything about the year. That includes every fish, where it was caught, size of the fish, and technique used. I figured since fly fishing is such a big part of my life, why not record everything about it?


Stats

- 726 fish
- Approximately 141 days of fishing
- 14 new native brook trout streams discovered
- 32 new waters fished
- Best Month: September, 194 fish
- Biggest fish: Coho Salmon, 33", Quilcene River, WA
- Favorite River: Blackfoot River, MT
- Favorite Fly: San Juan Worm

             
          -Season Records- 

- Native Brook Trout: 13 inches, NY
- Rainbow: 20 inches, Missouri River, MT
- Cuttbow: 19 inches, Clark Fork River, MT
- Brown Trout: 24 inches, NY
- Westslope Cutthroat: 18 inches, N. Fork Blackfoot River, MT
- Bull Trout: 29 inches, Blackfoot River, MT
- Whitefish: 20 inches, Missouri River, MT
- Landlocked Salmon: 21 inches, NY
- Coho Salmon: 33 inches, Quilcene River, WA
- Lake Trout: 19 inches, NY



Fish of the Year

Blackfoot River Bull Trout


Photo of the Year

Chris Stiles releasing a nice Adirondack Brown


Trip of the Year

Chaffin Lakes Camping Trip


2011 is a year that I will never forget, especially because I moved to the fly fishing capital of the United States in August to attend the University of Montana. I've had the privilege of fishing some of the country's greatest rivers, while attending a very prestigious University. I also had the privilege of meeting some great people who became friends that I hope I will be able to fish with for the rest of my life.

I'm looking forward to exploring more great water in the west in the next year and I can only hope that 2012 turns out to be as good as 2011 did. I want to thank all of you who read the blog, and hope that you'll continue reading about my fishing experiences. They're only going to get better.

I'd like to give a special thanks to my friends Chris Gratton, Cody Melchior, Riley Fitting, Garret Visser, Cameron Best, Chris Lider, Connor Wing, Dave Falldin, Chris Stiles, and Tom Martiny for making this a great year of Fly Fishing.

I wish everyone a Happy New Year, best of luck for 2012, and of course, a great year of fishing!

                        - Alec Underwood

No comments:

Post a Comment