Thursday, December 29, 2011

Icing Up

Last night it was about 5 degrees here in upstate NY. Even though we got some rain on Wednesday, the cold temps iced everything back up and everything was solid today. Chris and I headed over to Brant lake around 8am to see if there was fishable ice. We found a nice solid layer of ice that was smooth as can be. However, it just wasn't thick enough to fish on(about 2 and a half inches).


I headed back home to fish my lake for the day with the bait that I had left from the past couple of days. I was disappointed that I got a late start and it was a slow first hour. I missed a couple fish and also had 2 fish break me off. I think I'll be changing all my leaders tonight to prevent that from happening again. I did manage to land a couple fish in the next hour or so.The first was a 19 inch pike and the second was about 23 inches.





Once noon hit, I decided to switch things up and put a couple tip ups deep for some perch. I used smaller minnows and I was surprised when I got a flag in some deeper water. I set the hook on the fish and it felt like a decent one. I knew it wasn't a pike but I didn't know exactly what it was. It ended up being a nice largemouth bass, the first one I've landed ice fishing.



The last couple hours of fishing was pretty slow with only a couple missed fish. Tomorrow I'll be changing up my strategy and positioning my lines on another area of the pond. I want a big pike tomorrow and I have a perfect place to try for one. We'll see how it goes. Other ponds will be fishable soon, for the cold temps are causing lots of ponds to ice solid.

No comments:

Post a Comment