Saturday, August 13, 2011

Getting Ready

Less than a week now and I'll be on my way to some of the most famous trout streams in North America. However, me being the procrastinator that I am, have only managed to pack about half of all my fly fishing gear and all of my fly tying materials and no actual normal college items(for example clothes).

I'm very excited to get out there and start learning the rivers in the area which include the Blackfoot River, North Fork of the Blackfoot River, Bitteroot River, Clearwater River and the Clark Fork River. The residence hall that I chose is less than 400 meters from the Clark Fork and I know I'll be spending a lot of time on it. I was fortunate enough to be able to fish the Bitteroot, Blackfoot and the North Fork last summer when visiting the University.  Water Conditions were still high so fishing was tough. I did manage to hook up with a BIG cutthroat on the Blackfoot but he ended up breaking me off. I also landed some really nice whitefish on the North Fork but couldn't seem to find the trout.
 North Fork of the Blackfoot

Good thing I'll have the next 4 years to learn the rivers thoroughly. The fishing reports for the Missoula area are great right now. Can't wait to get out there and get on those rivers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment